Flashing RED LIGHTS & Extended STOP ARM on School Bus Means STOP!
October 13th, 2016
Drivers: know the rules
When driving on a road WITHOUT a median:
- drivers travelling in both directions must stop for a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing
- when you approach the bus from the front, stop at a safe distance to let children get on or off the bus and cross the road
- don’t move forward until the red lights have stopped flashing or the bus begins to move
When driving on a road WITH a median:
- traffic coming from the opposite direction is not required to stop.
Drivers can be charged if they pass a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing:
- First offence: $400 to $2,000 and six demerit points..
- Each following offence: $1,000 to $4,000, six demerit points and possible jail time (up to six months)
Vehicle owners can be charged if their vehicle illegally passes a stopped school bus, even if they weren’t driving.
Students: Stay safe
School bus travel is very safe in Ontario. Injuries and fatalities, which are very rare, happen more often outside the school bus as students are boarding and leaving the bus or crossing the street.
Parents, help keep your children safe by talking about bus safety with them.
When you board or leave a bus
- Be at the bus stop before the bus comes.
- Wait in a safe place well back from the edge of the road – don’t play in ditches or on snow banks.
- Stay out of the DANGER ZONE. If you can touch the bus, you’re too close. U se 10 giants steps to take you out of the DANGER ZONE, and make sure you and the bus driver can see each other.
- Always cross the road in front of the bus, never behind.
- Look all ways and wait for the driver to signal before you cross in front of a bus.
- Walk at least 10 big steps from the front of the bus.
- Enter or exit the bus in single file. Never push or shove.
- Walk – never run – across the road.
- NEVER stop to pick up anything that you may have dropped in the DANGER ZONE. Ask an adult or the bus driver to help.
#WRstopforthe bus and tag @WRDSB
Categories: Home Page