February 16th, 2018
- Senior Badminton tryouts begin on Monday, February 26th! If you’re interested please come and join us right after school on Mondays and Wednesdays in the west gym.
- On Wednesday the Hawks wrestlers competed at CWOSSA. A huge congratulations goes out to Evan Kerr for bringing home a silver medal. Evan’s hard work, grit and determination were a crucial part of his success all year. Strong performances were also put on by Mauricio Estrada, Shahzain Saeed, and Sarah Kautesk. Great Job hawks!!
- Track and Field!!!
Track season is here. There will be a mandatory meeting for those interested in coming out for this year’s track team on Tuesday, February 27th at the beginning of lunch, in Rm. 045. If you cannot make the meeting please see Mr. Maggiacomo. Practice starts Thursday, March 1st!!
- Junior Badminton tryouts are beginning!! If you are interested in trying out for the junior badminton team come to the West gym Tuesdays and Thursdays right after school. See you there.
- Congratulations to grade 10 student Eleena Stubbs!
Her poem written for the University of Waterloo’s HeForShe writing contest will be published in the University’s anthology. The anthology will be released on the annual International Women’s Day dinner on March 2.
If you see Eleena please share your congratulations!
- Attention writers! We are now accepting submissions for the Waterloo County English Awards! You could win cash for your creative writing in poetry, short stories, informal prose, digital non-fiction and more!
Head to www.waterloocountyenglishawards.ca for submission forms or more info, or see Ms. Vrentzos in the English Office, room 242, for more details.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS FRIDAY MARCH 9TH
- Discover Vet School gives you the amazing opportunity to experience a day in the life of a vet student at the ON Veterinary College/University of Guelph on Saturday, March 3. Please check the JHSS website for more info.
- The girls empowerment group presents “Women’s Wellness Wednesday’s” for the remainder of Wednesday’s in February! GIRLS come out to the East Gym tomorrow for some recreational volleyball and open gym time! Hope to see you there!
- Hey Art Clubbers! Thursday, come on up to room 308 to work on designing ceiling tiles. Bring your lunch
- February is Black History Month in Canada, and it is a very special time when we remember the rich contributions of African-Canadians who have been here since the late 1600s.
This year, we focus on the achievements of women who have been a mighty force for change in Canada, and the world – look out for this year’s poster in your classrooms, and around our school!
BHM is a Canadian event and should be celebrated by all Canadians. We encourage all of our Hawks to take the time to understand and learn about this important part of our Canadian history!
- Attention Grade 10 Students:
Are you thinking of university? The University of Waterloo is hosting a Grade 10 Family Night for parents and students on Thursday February 22nd from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. This is a great opportunity to learn more about university and what you can expect as you consider your career pathway. See the attached brochure for more details.
- Want a great summer job? You will gain valuable skills, earn money and have fun. Check out the opportunities available through Ontario Public Service and Ontario Parks. You’ll find the link in our announcements on the JHSS website or come to guidance for more info. Apply Now!
- Reminder that the GSA runs every Thursday at lunch in Room 303!!! All are welcome to stop by and check it out!! See you Thursday!!!
- Wednesday’s are for Wellness!! Would you like to de-stress and relax during your busy day? Are you interested in enhancing your wellness and well-being? If so, come and join us in Room 232 on Wednesday’s at 11:00 a.m. to participate in lunch time Yoga! All students and staff are invited and everyone is welcome!!
- Breakfast Club! This is a reminder that ALL are welcome to the JHSS Breakfast Club! If you visit us, please remember to check mark a box on the sign in sheet. These check marks are very important as they help us with funding throughout the year. Also, the Breakfast Club would like to Thank Mr Wamil’s baking classes for providing the yummy muffins to our program! ALL students are welcome Monday thru Friday 7:30am – 8:00am in the Hawk’s Nest (across from the East Gym).
- The Hawks Theatre Tech Crew meets all year and provides support for stage design and set up, lighting, sound, A-V, set, props, costume and makeup for various school events.
There are many opportunities to earn volunteer hours. For more information, stop by the upper foyer at lunch on Tuesday. The first HTTC meeting of the year will be at the beginning of lunch on Thursday in the drama Studio, room 250.
- Attention Hawks, please keep all valuable items in your locker or sports locker. JHSS is not responsible for any items that are lost including wallets, cash, personal devices, etc. If you lose your Chromebook or textbooks you will be responsible for reimbursing the school. Please do NOT leave items of value in the change rooms.