October 1st, 2018
- Hey hawks! Today is day 5 of grade wars. After the Hatterstrong tournament yesterday, the grade 10s are currently in first place with 700 points, the grade 12s are in second with 650 points, the grade 11s are in third with 400 points, and the grade 9s are in fourth with 200 points. Today is our spirit day, finals of dodgeball, and your hallway decorations are being judged – all your final opportunities for points. Good luck hawks!
- ATTENTION POLICE or MILITARY COOP APPLICANTS!!!!!!
IF you are wanting to do a POLICE placement next semester the final deadline is quickly approaching.
Please see Mr. MacMaster in the Co-op office located beside Rm. 339 in the Business Wing starting Monday, Oct. 22
or, you could send a quick email to arrange a time, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attention all DECA members, our next meeting will be on Tuesday Oct 23rd which will be optional but the meeting on Thursday Oct 25th is a mandatory meeting.
- Hey Hawks…do you like spooky, scary, skeletons? Creepy jump scares? Ghosts? Haunted houses? Then the Ghost Walk is for you. JHSS Theatre Hawks are presenting the second bi-annual Ghost Walk on Tuesday October 23 and Wednesday October 24 at 6pm throughout the halls of JHSS. So come out and get into the Halloween Spirit. Tickets will be on sale in the upper foyer starting Thursday, October 18 for $5 or $20 for 5 people.
- New Orleans Trip 2019. This is a reminder to all potential applicants that all forms are due this Friday October 19th. Also, the explorica website will not be open until all forms are submitted to Mr. Salema
- Attention Grads! Edge Imaging will be at our school on Monday, November 5 to Friday, November 9, 2018 to take graduation photos and help you celebrate this moment! Sign up for your photo session online at bookmygrad.ca. Enter JHS for school code.
- Attention hawks! The annual Hatterstrong Dodgeball Tournament is coming up on October 18 and 19! Make sure you gather your team of 10 and sign up with the forms and hand them into the athletic office with your money by Friday the 12th. There is a competitive and non competitive league so there will be fun for everybody. Dress your team up in your greatest costumes and come on out to support the legacy of Mr. Hatt.
- Are you interested in debating current issues? Would you like to spend two days at the University of Waterloo later this fall? The first meeting of Fed-Prov will be today, Wednesday, at lunch in Room 146. All new and returning members are welcome. If you’re interested in joining but can’t attend Wednesday’s meeting then please see Mr. Spitzig or Ms. Lefaive.
- Attention talented artsy students! Nutrition for Learning is running a Holiday Card Design Competition which is open to all students! The winning design will be printed onto cards and sent out to all the donors who support student nutrition programs in the region. The winning designer will win a $100 gift card for Chapters for themselves and $400 for their school nutrition program! The deadline for submissions is Friday October 26. For more information, please see Ms. Pither in the Breakfast Club.
- Hey hawks, GSA’s topic of the week is: asexuality
Come join us at lunch, Thursday, to find out what that means!
The gay-straight alliance is a weekly drop in lunch to feel welcome, safe, and to learn! Open to ANYONE in room 303 every Thursday at lunch!
- Art club! Art Club! Art Club! Bring your creative spirit to room 304 for Art Club on Fridays at lunch. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Are you a grade 11 or 12 student interested in pursuing a career in healthcare? Do you have a competitive streak? Do you want the opportunity to learn more about the skills necessary to work in the healthcare industry? If you answered yes to these three questions, then HOSA is for you. Meet in room 105 on Wednesdays at the beginning of lunch to learn more.
- Did you sign up to join the JHSS Live Events Crew?
Are you interested but missed the sign ups? Then just show up on Tuesday in the Library at lunch and we will add you to the crew!
- Mr. Johnson and Mr. Smith invite you to come to Tech Design (room 214) to learn the art of metal and rock jewelry design. You will learn to use different metals, recycle products and yes, even tumble rocks, to create one-of-a-kind pieces. Jewelry Design Club, Wednesdays at noon in room 214!
- Students, you are required to have a locker, please give your locker combination to your homeroom teacher ASAP Students are not allowed to share lockers for security reasons. JHSS is not responsible for items that may go missing from your locker, the change rooms or anywhere on school property. Winter is coming!!
- Weight Room Memberships
If you have purchased your weight room membership on school day please come to the PE office to pick up your membership card.
- Hey Hawks!!! Great News! Did you know you don’t have to hand in your Community Service Sheet anymore?
Simply log on to MyWay and click on the Community Involvement tab at the top and enter your information.
- Breakfast Club This is a reminder that ALL are welcome to the JHSS Breakfast Club! If you visit us, please remember to check mark a box on the sign in sheet. These check marks are very important as they help us with funding throughout the year. ALL students are welcome Monday thru Friday 7:30am – 8:00am in the Hawk’s Nest (across from the East Gym).
- Attention Hawks, please keep all valuable items in your locker or sports locker. JHSS is not responsible for any items that are lost including wallets, cash, personal devices, etc. If you lose your Chromebook or textbooks you will be responsible for reimbursing the school. Please do NOT leave items of value in the change rooms.