November 26th, 2019
Start of job action by Waterloo secondary teachers, occasional teachers, Custodial and Maintenance staff, Educational Support Staff, Professional Student Services Personnel and Supervision Monitors and Cafeteria Assistants:
The Ontario Secondary Teachers ‘ Federation (OSSTF) will begin labour action in public schools across Ontario on Tuesday, November 26, 2019. We know that as parents and caregivers, it is important for you to know how this situation may affect your child so we are providing you with an update.
Beginning on Tuesday, November 26, 2019, OSSTF has directed its members to “work-to-rule” on issues that are not aimed at local school boards but rather at the provincial government and the current central bargaining process. As such, there will be limited impact on students. Under this direction from OSSTF, secondary teachers and education workers will not:
- Participate in EQAO preparation or testing;
- Complete Ministry of Education Reports – Data will be shared with the Board but reports will not be completed or submitted;
- Participate in Board PA (Ministry or Board topics), other than participating in self-directed PA. PA days organized by OSSTF/FEESO may continue as usual;
- Participate in unpaid staff meetings outside the scheduled school day;
- Provide comments on any secondary provincial report cards;
- Perform the work of another bargaining unit, even if directed by administration.
In addition, OSSTF bargaining units will be periodically establishing picket lines at worksites and other selected locations before and after school and during lunch hours, in order to distribute information to the public. Locally we have been advised that these will commence on Wednesday, November 27, 2019 and run through to Tuesday, December 2, 2019.
Our priority remains for the safety of our students and we want you to clearly understand the status of our schools during any labour action. We will continue to monitor the situation and its impact on secondary students and will keep you updated as the situation changes. To find out the status of schools during labour action:
- Visit our Labour website and subscribe to receive updates;
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Use the Labour Updates button on the WRDSB and school websites
As a board, we respect our secondary teachers, occasional teachers, Custodial and Maintenance staff, Educational Support Staff, Professional Student Services Personnel, and Supervision Monitors and Cafeteria Assistants and value their work with and for students. We remain committed to reaching fair, negotiated agreements with all of our employee groups. Thank you for your patience, support and understanding.
Categories: Home Page