May 8th, 2023
May is Asian Heritage Month in Canada. For nearly 250 years, people of Asian heritage have contributed to Canadian history, society, and identity.
To celebrate Asian Heritage Month, the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) invites students, staff and families to learn more about the diverse cultures and experiences of Asian Canadians and the Asian diaspora.
Asian Heritage Month
In 2002, the Government of Canada officially declared May as Asian Heritage Month, although it has been celebrated since the 1990s. This month provides a valuable opportunity to celebrate and honor the diverse cultures, histories, and achievements of the Asian-Canadian community.
The Asian-Canadian community is incredibly diverse, encompassing people from more than 50 countries and regions, each with their unique traditions, languages, and histories. In recognizing and celebrating Asian Heritage Month, we can learn more about these diverse cultures and deepen our understanding and appreciation for their contributions to society.
Resources for Families
- What is Asian?: To highlight the diversity of the Asian community, members of the WRDSB’s Asian Affinity Group created a video where they explore what it means to be Asian from their own unique backgrounds and perspectives.
- Asian Communities in Canada: Enjoy this curated selection of films that celebrate the many achievements and contributions of Canadians of Asian descent who, throughout history, have done so much to make Canada the culturally diverse, compassionate and prosperous nation it is today.
- Noteworthy Canadians of Asian Descent
- Events in Asian Canadian History
- Faces of Racism: A resource for Asian communities to discuss and respond to subtle racism
Categories: Home Page