November 6th, 2019
Dear Families and Caregivers,
Re: Peanut butter substitutions
There are students and staff within our school that suffer from extreme allergies, and we need to ensure the safety of these individuals. The safety and health of our students and staff is our first priority, which is why our schools have procedures in place to minimize risk of anaphylaxis reactions in those who have this extreme allergy.
There is a substitute peanut butter product that is being marketed to consumers as a safe alternative for children to bring to schools in place of peanut butter. The Waterloo Region District School Board asks that parents refrain from including these products in your child’s lunches or snacks.
These products tend to look, taste, and smell very much like peanut butter. While the product is nut free, it mimics a known allergen that causes anaphylaxis in some children to the degree that it is indistinguishable from the allergen. It is a convincing substitute, opening up the possibility that it can be confused as peanut butter, or worse yet, peanut butter could be confused as this soy-based product.
We sincerely appreciate your cooperation in avoiding the use of these products to assist in our continued efforts to create a safe, caring and inclusive learning environment for all students.
Categories: Home Page