Summer School 2021 (link to WRDSB SUMMER SCHOOL PAGE)
UPDATE: May 28/21
WRDSB summer school registration is closed at this time.
We can still attempt to register you for a course but we cannot guarantee at this time that there will be room for you in a WRDSB course.
Registration will automatically place you on a waitlist for other schools boards but there is no guarantee that you will get into a course.
Please note that JHSS guidance counsellors are NOT available during the summer months for summer school support. Please contact your summer school teacher.
Summer School 2021 has begun to take shape. At this time, all summer school courses will be offered online and require students to engage in both synchronous and asynchronous learning. The dates for all summer school courses [full and half credit courses] are Monday July 5, 2021 to Thursday July 29, 2021.
General Information and Expectations:
- Students may only take ONE Summer School Credit Course. This can be one full credit course, or two half credit courses (e.g. Civics, Careers).
- Students who have a high degree of self-motivation and the ability to work independently are best suited for online/virtual courses.
- All course work will need to be completed online.
- As in traditional classes, regular attendance is critical for success at summer school. All full credit summer school courses involve a minimum of 110 hours of content and instruction. Students must log in every school day (Monday to Friday) and are expected to spend 5.5 hours per day on their course, plus additional time for assignments and studying for tests and exams. All work must be completed and submitted as instructed by the teacher. Students are expected to keep up with the course material, due dates and time commitments each week. Students who do not login to their course regularly risk being removed from the course for failing to meet the requirements.
- WRDSB reserves the right to cancel courses if there is insufficient enrolment. Students/parents/legal guardians will be notified by email if the course they registered for is cancelled.
HOW TO ACCESS YOUR COURSES:
WRDSB Secondary Students Taking a WRDSB eLearning Course
- To access their online class, students go to https://wrdsb.elearningontario.ca/ and login with their WRDSB Gmail address and password. They will see their summer school class listed on the homepage under the “My Courses” widget (box)
- If they are expressing a desire to learn how to use the platform, every WRDSB secondary student is already enrolled in a WRDSB VLE/D2L Orientation course. It’s a collection of short demonstration videos and other resources to support them in being successful if they need help navigating the platform.
WRDSB Secondary Students Taking an eLearn Course With Another Board
- WRDSB students taking an eLearning course with another board can access their course via the WRDSB VLE/D2L still. They login with their WRDSB Gmail address and password to https://wrdsb.elearningontario.ca/. On the WRDSB homepage, they will see a widget (box) for “My Courses” – these are the classes they have with the WRDSB. If they scroll down, just beneath that they will see another box that says “My Courses in Other Orgs” – they should see any courses they are enrolled in from another school board there, and clicking it will take them right into the course from another board.
- Each board runs their startup their own way, but will generally email the student (and often their parent/guardian) instructions and details about what this looks like and what to expect. These emails are grabbed from PRISM, so would go to the student’s WRDSB Gmail address and the email listed for the parent/guardian there. Keep this in mind with your communications with students, as for example, different boards have different start and end dates.